I’ve been thinking about doing a site for a long time. In fact, I have created a few in the past, but it’s really been about something that will sustain me. The process has been a long and continually iterative, but I think my core philosophy comes down to a few items:
- Be Kind
- Don’t Bullshit
I’ve compiled some easy answers below, but I think it’s important to think through my long-term objectives of this site, but keep in mind that things will continually evolve as I grow and learn (and hopefully my audience does as well – hey mom!).
Who is this site for?
- People who are interested in personal finance, financial independence, and making a meaningful life. (Read more to continue).
What the hell is FIRE?
- FIRE is short for Financial Independence, Retire Early.
Who are you?
- I’m writing this blog anonymously, but I have some basic bio that I can give out. I’m a 30-something guy living in the US who is exploring financial independence. I’ll take you through my journey as I dive into retirement, life, real estate, investing, and more.
Why anonymous? When will I reveal my secret identity?
- There’s a few reasons for the anonymity. I really value transparency, but it’s hard while I’m currently working on FIRE. It’s a challenge for jobs, but I plan on revealing myself more transparently when I hit the right number. I’ll go into more details on my plans in a future post!
Why “Banana” FIRE Guy?
- There’s a few parts to it:
- FIREguy.com was taken by some tech savvy firefighter, so I had to be creative.
- It’s a reference to the Arrested Development phrase, “There’s always money in the banana stand.“
- It’s about the possibilities of the world and really encouraging people to explore, learn, grow, and push themselves to new lengths (or to eat more bananas).
Where do I go from here?
- Explore the site! Or don’t.